As the New Year begins, the New England Rabbinical College (NERC) embarks on a major renovation project. The stately century-old brick building at 262 Blackstone Boulevard in Providence was originally built as a hospital, and subsequently served as a friary.
Under the leadership of the late Thomas W. Pearlman, the building was purchased by the Jewish community in the 1970s. Since that time, there have been no serious upgrades or renovations.
Funding was secured in June for the first stage of renovations through a $600,000 crowd-funding campaign. The current plan includes opening supporting walls in the main study hall/sanctuary and creating a new library, classroom and offices. A new ADA-compliant ramp and bathroom will allow easy access to all.
While the work is underway, the main study hall has been replaced by a modular unit on the lawn on the Slater Avenue side of the property.
As the students moved the siddurim and holy books, there was feeling of anticipatory excitement in the air.
For more information about the project or to take a tour, call Chana Twersky at 401-274-1361 or email email@example.com. To view more pictures, visit the NERC website at www.yeshivaofprovidence.org .
Submitted by New England Rabbinical College